A transformer is a circuit component that transfers the electrical energy from the primary circuit to other, multiple circuits in our homes, offices, etc. A transformer is a square ring made from an iron core with wires wound around as coils on two alternate sides of the transformer. These transformers are divided into two categories: Step-up transformers and Step-down transformers. In this article, we shall learn about step-down transformers and their uses.
What are Step-down Transformers?
A transformer that converts high voltage (or low current) from the primary coil of the transformer to low voltage (or high current) to the secondary coil of the transformer is known as a Step-down transformer. The ratio of the number of turns on the primary side of a step-down transformer to the number of turns on the secondary side is approximately proportional to the ratio of voltage on the primary side to the voltage on the secondary side.
Uses of Step-down transformers:
- These transformers are used in the adapters of charges of phones, stereos, etc.
- Another vital application of step-down transformers is a reduction in voltage and an increase in the current supply.
- These step-down transformers also act as voltage stabilizers in case of any voltage breach in the transmission lines.
Types of materials that manufacturers use while manufacturing step-down transformers
1. Iron core: A step-down transformer comprises an iron core around which copper wires are wound. Now, the performance and quality of the transformer highly depend upon the core used by the transformer manufacturing company. Usually, the step down transformer manufacturers who produce good quality products use a ferromagnetic core. This is because the electrical energy passed through the primary coil is converted into magnetic energy, giving the highest current output without damaging the transformer.
2. Copper wire: Usually, the manufacturers of booster transformers or any other transformer manufacturing company use copper wire with 28 gauges. This copper wire is coated with an insulator so that it does not catch fire at high voltages.
To be specific, these are the two main components of a transformer and are not only used in a step-down transformer but also in a step-up transformer. Just the alignment of the coils would be the opposite, but other than that, everything else is identical. Thus, step-up transformer manufacturers also use the same quality of materials.
Nowadays, it is pretty challenging to choose an electrical product because there are several brands and companies to choose from. It is not a big deal if it is a small light bulb or any such usual appliances. Still, while selecting a transformer, one must always keep the quality check in mind because it transmits electricity to an entire area or a complex.
If you need to buy a transformer, but the confusion is eating you out about which company you should choose, then you can search through your browser and get answers to all your questions, which might clear out any confusion you have. If not, then you also ask any step-down transformer supplier. They will give you the best product available under your budget if they are genuine sellers.
Shakti Electrical Corporation is a transformer manufacturer in Jaipur that produces high-quality transformers and other electrical products, and you must not worry about its performance. It has positive reviews from the buyers as well as the suppliers.